Wednesday, February 20, 2008

Rescuscitating the Oscars

(23 Jan 2008)

Happy New Year to y’all, and as we wind down the Year of the Pig, and scuttle forward into the Year of the Rat, a very merry Oscar Season to you all.

The big question at the moment is, of course, will there be an Oscars ceremony? It’s the Writers vs Everyone Else, and Alien and Predator will be nothing compared to this. I mean, writers have pens, and laptops and typewriters - they’ve got paper and scripts and George Clooney, while Everyone Else has…well…money. Hmm.

But assuming the show does go on, it’ll be doing so with the fantastic Jon Stewart at the helm, waving, grinning, making fun of the Baldwins… Oh, it’s going to be great.

Most unfortunately, my cinema viewing has been pretty lacklustre this year. I haven’t seen No Country for Old Men or There Will Be Blood (which, I have to say I’m having trouble distinguishing between), I haven’t seen Atonement (this as part of my reluctance to see Keira Knightly (ugh, “Keira” is accepted by spellcheck) pouting her way about another film set, although this is raged against by my having no objection whatsoever to James McAvoy doing the same). I’ve got some ground to cover.

Anyway, with regard to today’s nominations…

In Which We Are Happy

Hurrah for Juno, which is an absolutely gorgeous film (and one I’ve seen!). Punchy and hilarious, and with a kick-ass lead performance from Ellen Page, deservedly nominated for Best Actress. She’s got a formidable opponent in Julie Christie (Away From Her), but if anyone can cause a real upset, I think it’s her. Also nice to see Laura Linney up there.

Hurrahs will also be voiced for Johnny Depp, nominated for Sweeney Todd: The Demon Barber of Fleet Street (my favourite title of the year) (nope, it’s been usurped—that title now belongs to nominee for Animated Short Film Even Pigeons Go To Heaven), who I think should always be included in every awards show. Yay also for George Clooney, and my pick for a dark horse (of which I’m pretty proud), Viggo Mortensen (Eastern Promises).

Hal Holbrook, a perennial HITG! (ie—Hey, It’s That Guy!) gets a nod for Into the Wild, and I’m all for it. Happy as always to see Cate Blanchett in the Kodak, and it looks like she’s the one to beat (for I’m Not There, anyway…not much chance of getting it for Elizabeth: The Golden Age, especially when they didn’t give it to her the first time…but that’s another rant…).

I’m also pretty tickled that three of the songs from Enchanted have been nominated for Best Original Song—I can’t help it, I find it all adorable.

In antidote to that…I know it’s petty, but I’m really glad that the inexplicable hysteria that surrounds Keira Knightly wasn’t enough to get her nominated. Hurrah! Petty is the new black!

In Which We Are Disgruntled

No nominations for Hairspray?? What?? Not even Makeup (which includes, I suppose, hair)?? What about those few original songs?? What’s going on!? Seems wrong, and all the more reason for me to start my own awards show, in which Hairspray and Hot Fuzz would take home just about everything.

Norbit? NORBIT got nominated? This makes the whole shunning of Hairspray even worse.

Also, I mean, would it have killed the Academy to get James MacAvoy up on that stage? Really.

In Which We Are Seriously Ticked Off

Wither Simpsons Movie? WITHER?

In Which We Are Interested…But Otherwise Unaffected

So Michael Moore’s Sicko got nominated for Best Documentary Feature.

Anyway, in the next few weeks I will opt to defibrillate the O-posts, bringin’ ‘em back, just to annoy you.

Hope you’re all well and, wherever you are, happy.

O

No comments: