Saturday, July 4, 2009

In which I had an excellent Saturday

Back, having taken a leave of absence to regain some optimism. There are going to be a lot of photos in this one, too, since I've just discovered the little memory disk drive on my computer.

Yesterday I decided to test out a previously injured foot by taking to the park and enjoying the unseasonal sunshine. It was glorious. Ducklings on the water, fluffy grey teenage swans noodling unconcernedly at the grass by the path, dogs and their owners, horses and their riders trotting past - even the joggers didn't annoy me. The sun shone down brightly through the dappling leaves and the wind, while chill, was fresh. I was caught up in the jollification and good humour of it all, and it felt wonderful to be out there. After greeting a westie and his sweet-natured greyhound friend, my foot was giving signals that it was about time to head back, and so I did.

The outdoorsyness was clearly infectious, and after a quick shower I headed out again to a pretty bay where blue and green water lapped at the sandy beach, and a particularly creative four year old sereneded the visitors with a song of his own making: "putting that o-ver therrrrrre, putting this on top, that's how we go, that's how we go, where's the baby? Who's got the baby? Make a little castle, where's the baby gone?"

Incidentally, we never found out where the baby went.

Following that, made the trek up along the cliffside near the ocean, enjoying as I always do the way the water turns turquoise where it breaks on the rocks, and the general feeling of freedom you get when you look out at the open ocean. I've always liked the ocean better than the beach (mostly to do with the amount of sand that I seem to bring home after a day on the dunes) and I think this feeling is part of the reason. The wind picked up as I climbed higher and vied with the warmish sun for control of the climate. Wild rosemary, Christmas bells, delicious-looking berries (it's because they're so red. And juicy-looking. Don't worry, I didn't succumb to temptation) decked the paths all the way to the top of the cliffs, and pockmarked rocks cropped out over the water, where the rain and the ocean spray have sculpted the landscape. And so while I got to know the macro settings of my camera (not all that well, I suspect), the day complied by offering good light, and the wind screwed with my only recently-straightened hair.

Capped off with a hot meal and a screening of All About Eve, and I have to say, there's no one like Bette Davis around anymore.

A very good day.

No comments: