Thursday, January 22, 2009

In which the Oscar Nominations are out!!!

They’re off!

Welcome to Omails 2009! The S.S.Oscar has been launched by the venerable Forest Whittaker, and Hugh Jackman is at the helm. I’m anticipating dance numbers. Dance! I still have a few to see (Revolutionary Road, Doubt, Milk, The Reader), so there’s going to be a lot to do between now and February 22 (or the 23rd here). I apologise, also, in advance, for this post, which is being written with a headache and a general tiredness, and so may show signs of both. But you can find all the 2009 nominations on http://www.imdb.com/. My reactions are as follows:

In which we are pleased:
That Robert Downey Jr has a nomination for Tropic Thunder. The entertainment value alone is going to be worth it. Also that Tom Cruise is not nominated for the same. He needs no encouragement.
That Taraji P. Henson is up for Benjamin Button.
That Thomas Newman is nominated for original score and song for Wall*E. Whee! Although I think he’s done better, I love seeing him up there.
That Heath Ledger is nominated. This is really what the Oscars are going to be about this year.
That Slumdog Millionaire has so many nominations. I’d be quite satisfied with that film winning Best Pic.
That Frank Langella is nominated for Frost/Nixon. As of this moment my favourite of the Best Actor nominees. Even though I’ve only seen two of them.

In which we are less than pleased:
Philip Seymour Hoffman. As usual.
That Kristen Scott Thomas and Sally Hawkins are nowhere to be seen.
Complete absence of original songs from the Chronicles of Narnia. Stupid 3-song rule.
That there are no acting nominations for Slumdog Millionaire.

So mostly it’s pleasing, but not necessarily incredibly exciting. Fewer “Whee!”s this year. This year’s Omails have a plan (a PLAN!) and for the first time will be displayed in blog form (this may end disastrously). The website is as follows: http://www.reasons-passing-understanding.blogspot.com/

I’ll be trying to update every couple of days, planning around my moving house (again, disaster may be imminent). So I wish you a very happy new President of the United States, and a merry Oscar race 2009.

Tootles!

No comments: