Sunday, May 17, 2009

In which I've been meditating, unintelligibly.

Back again, and feeling more optimistic than I was earlier in the week. But right now, with a belly full of apple juice and feet just gone around the park, I'm feeling the endorphins, baby. Oh yes.

I've been meditating lately on the idea of expectation. People can expect with aggression, judgement, or even unmaliciously, but it still grates. What do they expect? A lunch companion can ask "are you going to eat all of that?" and the word "all" is given italics. Someone can expect you to be more upset than you are and instead of adapting their reaction, keep carrying on as if you're being unreasonably emotional. A conversation can hint at expectations of how you should react to an incident, and secondly can hint that any other reaction is stupid and ignorant, and not, to put it bluntly, the thing that is done in modern society. It doesn't seem an old fashioned thing to expect, but it is. Leather for lace.

I don't think I made much sense up there. Bottom line, I think expectation is one of my least favourite things when imposed on others. Or to put it this way, I don't like being expected to behave in a certain way, and judged when I fail to meet said expectations. Hmm.

Moving on! I've finished another knitting project, and it's ok. It was supposed to be something of an oversized slouchy cap, but in my grand tradition of cap-knitting, it's smaller. Thankfully, where a normal cap would now be too small, this oversize cap is now pretty much the right size for my head. Has a pleasing spiral pattern (observe)



which worked better than I thought it would, especially considering I fudged the instructions from the beginning, since the wool I used was much thicker than the one in the pattern. Anyway, there it is.


Tonight I am eating spaghetti bolognaise (and no, we shall not be shortening it to the odious "spag bol"), which is one of my favourite meals. Hurrah!

No comments: