Monday, April 20, 2009

In which all is warm and cosy in the apartment.

Tonight I sit in my room while the sky outside purples and the cool air rushes in and blows my picture frames precariously about on the walls. I probably should go and check that one by the curtains, but there's a perverse pleasure to be had in waiting to see how long it'll last.

It all reminds me of the faraway Point C (where I ultimately wish to live), and I'm going to have to resist the urge to hole up in here all evening. I've been grocery shopping, and I'm enjoying the feeling you get in your feet after you've taken your shoes off following an hour or so of walking. Mmm.

The year is wearing on, and I'm determined to stay positive, re my prospects of finding a job/satisfaction in the city of Point B. Nevertheless, the travel bug has infiltrated my defences and keeps buzzing on about far off places and adventures to be had. If only someone would pay me to travel about and enjoy myself. Seems like a breakdown in priorities, if you ask me.

This last weekend I engaged in an ill-advised pasttime: gambling. Only ill-advised if you're like me, and have absolutely no luck of any kind with respect to these things. Pleasing enough to get all dressed up and sit under an umbrella, bobbing up every now and then to hang by the railings to watch the horses thunder past, though. The general toffery doesn't extend to the manners of the punters, though. No chivalry to be seen amongst the men, and the women, though faring slightly better, tended to be much more concerned with how they looked than with paying attention to what was around them (including people trying to navigate past with a drink). Still, it's always amusing to hear a bunch of people in suits and dresses start yelling "GO ZAPPERS!" at the top of their lungs.

Mostly, I liked looking at the horses - really fine creatures, and I kept looking longingly after the grey Racecourse horses as they cantered after the winners. I'm going to have to visit the nearby park and its horses soon.

Ack! It's raining! Batten down the hatches!

No comments: