Thursday, March 19, 2009

In which I'm never moving again ever.

It was somewhere about halfway between point A and point B where my car decided enough was enough.

I'd left the rest stop about ten minutes ago, and happened to glance at the temperature gauge only to discover that it was quite decisively on "high". In fact, it looked as though it would have gone straight past "high" to "I'm dying, I'm dying, oh god the heat" if there had been room on the gauge. Then the accelerator chimed in with a delightful rattle every time I pressed down. Wondering if I could coast the next 100 or so kilometres to point B and deciding this was probably not an option, I did what any young person of the world would do.

I called my Dad.

Long story short, I got onto the friendly roadside assist people, tried not to think about horror movies, and waited for the tow truck, who took me into the nearest town and dropped me and my car-shaped bundle of overheated pieces at the mechanics. Turns out I'd blown a gasket (ok, the CAR had blown a gasket) which was going to cost more than my car was worth to fix. End result, I am now without a car. Poor Dad had to drive the 200-odd kilometres from point A to come rescue me and my car-load of possessions bound for the new digs in point B.

SUCH a smooth transition.

While I'm still without car, and now aware of how gloriously un-fit I am (never, ever move into a building without a lift. EVER), I'm at least moved-in, and apart from the empty boxes in the corner, the fact that I haven't got any clothes hangers, and that most of my books and dvds and tv have not yet arrived, it's a nice clean room, and it is mine. Hurrah!

Decided not to venture out any more today, as it seems uncommonly unfair to expect it. Of course, I'm not sure what I'll do about dinner. The contents of my cupboard include pasta, tinned fruit, sprinkles (left over from when I was giving a lesson on how to make fairy-bread-men) and various other herbs and spices. Also a box of porridge oats. Hmm. This could be the best, or the worst meal ever eaten...

I've got big ideas.

No comments: